Keeping tabs on invoices is an integral part of effective Bar/Restaurant Management. Invoices provide an accurate view into your cost base and the details within can provide meaningful insights. The problem, however, is that it takes time & effort to capture invoice details and Bars/Restaurants will oftentimes just settle for top level information i.e. supplier name and total.
Line-level invoice details provide much greater value and allow for:
- Tracking price changes
- Usage/cogs calculation
- Automated accounts payable
- FIFO, LIFO, WAC stock valuation
- Spend analysis e.g. spend per supplier, per product type, and even per product (e.g. how much did venue ABC spend on Kahlúa last month?)
At Barsumo, we have spent a lot of time thinking about invoices and how to best capture/digitise their content. We experimented with invoice scanning (similar to PLATE IQ) and ultimately settled on checking-in invoices against the corresponding purchase orders as the best solution.
- Place orders via Barsumo
- Keep track of deliveries via the Order Log -- a delivered order means that the goods/invoice has been received and the invoice can be checked-in.
Steps to checking-in invoices#
- Find the corresponding purchase order in the Barsumo Order Log
- Click the Order ID to open the order
- Compare the order details with the invoice and make adjustments to the following as required
- Add new products
- When the order matches the invoice line-for-line, click check-in. Further adjustments can be made later if needs be.